The musings and ponderings of me, Jen

Swidget 1.0

Friday, May 23, 2008

My Pottery Experience

A group of my friends from MOPS went to our local pottery place recently for a Mom's Night Out. I'd heard about these places and how much fun they were, but I wasn't all that sure it would be all that fun. I was totally wrong!! We had a blast. It was a little hard letting go for those of us who have OCD tendencies, but just know going in that your piece is not going to be perfect, but it will be yours. Here are a few of my friends painting their pieces.

Crystal, Nancy, Liz, and Wendy
Summer & Autumn (Wow, how poetic!)
Alicia and Madeline

If you are not a good decision maker, this is not the place for you. First, you have to decide which piece you want to decorate - and there are tons to choose from. Then you have to decide what you want to paint on it. After that, you have to decide which colors and fonts to use. It's exhausting making all those decisions. But, my friends were great in giving me their advice as was the owner of the shop. Make sure to invite at least one really crafty friend with you when you go. (Thanks Autumn!!) I almost wish I went in and they said here, do this with these colors and these fonts. Luckily, I had read about another MOPS group doing 'Special Day Plates' for one of their meetings. It sounded like such a cute idea, that I knew I wanted to do something along those lines. But, there are so many plates, platters, serving trays, etc. to choose from. I got most of my ideas from looking at idea books and pictures of other people's work, but I was pretty happy with the way it turned out. I didn't want it to be for one specific child or one specific holiday, so now we have a special plate any of my guys can use for any special occasion.

This is the before picture, it's been painted but not fired yet.

And the finished product!
Post a comment and tell me if you've ever been and what you've made.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your plate, Jen! That's a neat idea.

Susan said...

I'm so sorry I missed it! Looks like a lot of fun! I'm going to have to go out there this summer and make some pottery of my own. You did a great job!